Today, we released the October 2018 Security and Quality Rollup.
No new security fixes. See .NET Framework September 2018 Security and Quality Rollup for the latest security update.
Quality and Reliability
This release contains the following quality and reliability improvements.
- Updated code to prevent errors regarding invalid date format when Japanese Era 4 is used with a future date 
- Parsing Japanese dates having a year number exceeding the number of years in that date era will succeed instead of throwing errors 
- When asynchronously reading a process output an IndexOutOfRangeException is thrown when less than a character’s worth of bytes is read at the beginning of a line 
- Fix in the JIT compiler for a rare case of struct field assignments, described here: https://github.com/Microsoft/dotnet/issues/779 
- DateTime.Now and DateTime.Utc will now always be synchronized with the system time, DateTime and DateTimeOffset operations will continue to work as it used to work 
- Spin-waits in several synchronization primitives were conditionally improved to perform better on Intel Skylake and more recent microarchitectures. To enable these improvements, set the new configuration variable COMPlus_Thread_NormalizeSpinWait to 1. 
- Corrected JIT optimization which resulted in removal of interlocked Compare Exchange operation 
- Under certain circumstances, WPF applications using the spell-checker that use custom dictionaries can throw unexpected excpetions and crash 
Note: Additional information on these improvements is not available. The VSTS bug number provided with each improvement is a unique ID that you can give Microsoft Customer Support, include in StackOverflow commentsor use in web searches.
Getting the Update
The Security and Quality Rollup is available via Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services, Microsoft Update Catalog, and Docker.
Microsoft Update Catalog
You can get the update via the Microsoft Update Catalog. For Windows 10, .NET Framework updates are part of the Windows 10 Monthly Rollup.
The following table is for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016+ versions.
The following table is for earlier Windows and Windows Server versions.
|Product Version||Preview of Quality Rollup KB|
Windows RT 8.1
Windows Server 2012 R2 | Catalog
.NET Framework 3.5 | 4457009
.NET Framework 4.5.2 | 4457017
.NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 | 4457015
Windows Server 2012 | Catalog
.NET Framework 3.5 | 4457008
.NET Framework 4.5.2 | 4457018
.NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 | 4457014
Windows Server 2008 R2 | Catalog
.NET Framework 3.5.1 | 4457008
.NET Framework 4.5.2 | 4457019
.NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 | 4457016
Windows Server 2008 | Catalog
.NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 | 4457007
.NET Framework 4.5.2 | 4457019
.NET Framework 4.6 | 4457016
Docker images have been updated as part of today’s release.
Note: Look at the “Tags” view in each repository to see the updated Docker image tags.
Note: Please look at .NET Docker Announcements for more information on .NET and Docker.
Previous Monthly Rollups
The last few .NET Framework Monthly updates are listed below for your convenience: